Sunday, August 9, 2009

Every New Beginning...

I've been wanting to do this for a while now: start up a new dog blog that encompasses my random musings as well as daily events and antics. Right now is an odd place to start, I'll admit, as I got a good dose of reality about twelve hours ago.

In a few months time, I will be moving to Kentucky (yes, it'll be the KY location now) to attend the Nash Academy. So far all I've been thinking about is how much fun I'm going to have up there while I learn to groom the dogs, but I realized how hard it's going to be to leave this life I've made here behind.

While working at the cafe this morning, one of my usual customers came in: an older lady, very friendly and always happy to have a conversation. Today was a little different: she informed me that she suddenly had to leave town, and wouldn't be back for several months. It dawned on me that this was most likely the last time I'd serve her a drink, as I'll be taking off by the time she gets back. Talk about a bombshell. Still, we talked about how other coffee houses can manage to mess up the drinks... I had a particularly nasty latte on Tuesday because the espresso sat for a full minute. Ah, but this is a different topic for a different day.

As she left, she asked me to come around the counter, and gave me a huge hug. She loved the short time she'd spent here, and told me that I was going to go far in my endeavors with the animals... I truly believe this. To hear it coming from someone that I only knew for a short while, to know that I've touched a life... it's an incredible feeling.

It's hard to lose customers like her. Earlier this year I gave a fond farewell to one of my former literature professors; she's going to be on sabbatical this semester, so I won't get to see her at our cafe's other location before I leave for groom school. But saying goodbye to today's customer made me realize just how hard it's going to be when I gather up my luggage and hit the road. There's so much I'm leaving behind to pursue my dream of grooming: my friends, family, jobs, the animal shelter... everything.

Yes, my departure is going to be emotionally charged, but it will come to pass. Life's a stage, after all, and I'm in transition, from the end of one act to the beginning of the next. And goodbye is never really goodbye, because, to borrow a line, "There will always be another dog show!" Perhaps I'll round everyone up to come visit me in my future salon... who knows? There's only one way to find out!

Onward to glory, to greatness, to... giant balls of fur!!

No comments:

Post a Comment