Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tribute to Zebee, the Toughest Maltese!

I haven't been in the business of grooming for too long, but I've already experienced client loss, something no groomer looks forward to. My first was sweet old Trevor, the donut Pomeranian. Then, one of our Yorkie clients, Miss Emma, developed cancer rapidly. Now, a third name is added to the list: Zebee, the toughest Maltese.

Last June, I stopped in Nancy's shop, hoping to learn a few pointers before heading off to school. On the table was a tiny white body, curled up comfortably on a towel. Zebee's eyes met mine and I knew that this was no average dog. Three years ago, he injured his back and became partially paralyzed. Even at the age of twelve, his eyes glowed like a puppy's. Nancy said he was on borrowed time, and wouldn't be with us much longer.

After school, when I got the job with Nancy, I was surprised to see Hunter in the shop with his brother Zebee. Although there weren't any improvements in his health, Zebee was still as spunky as ever. He sang a song in the tub and tried to stand on his own. We put him in a sling and watched in amazement as he tried to stand on all four legs, if only for a short while. Zebee's mom said that he still got around the house without assistance, which amazed us even more.

The months passed by and Zebee's frail body grew weaker. His will to live was unbroken, and you could see it in his eyes. I thought for sure that at one point, Zebee would not be back for another groom. Tuesday, he returned with his brother for the final time. He had his song in the tub and was very alert. Suddenly, he collapsed. We thought for sure he had died right there in the shop, until he showed signs of fading consciousness. Although his body gave out, Zebee's will remained. His last moments of life were spent with his mom and brother. It was decided that it was in Zebee's best interest that he be put to sleep.

None of us knew for certain what became of him after they left. Jo had a hard feeling in her throat, I felt dizzy, and the shop was, in general, much quieter. Nancy confirmed that Zebee was no longer with us. Although my dizzy spells subsided, I was filled with sadness for having lost the tough little Maltese.

Then, I realized that this was not the time to grieve for Zebee. There were other dogs at the shop who still needed tended to; I had to be strong for them. It occurred to me that I had to have the strength of Zebee to get through the rest of my day's grooms, and suddenly I was inspired. All of the dogs went out looking great, and afterward we all remarked about how incredible it was for Zebee to hold on as long as he did, even when things looked bleak.

In my younger days, I questioned the nature of the social animal. Why form bonds when ultimately, they will one day be broken? Among other things, these ever-important bonds lead to our own personal improvement, whether it is shared between friends of the two-legged or four-legged variety. It isn't always easy to stand in the face of adversity, but this little Maltese did it on a daily basis. I'm glad to have known Zebee, and I wish to share in his strength.

It's never really goodbye; there will always be another dog show.
See you on the other side Zeb!

No comments:

Post a Comment