Monday, September 21, 2009

The Sunday Finale

It's so hard to believe that itwas the last day of Groom Expo, already! That's got to be the one thing I can't stand about it: it ends waaay to soon! Nonetheless, it was certainly fun-filled, if not a little painful on my wallet!

I sat outside the VIP lounge waiting for it to open, reading my program book, when Lisa walked by.
Me: Hey Lisa!
Lisa: Hey! Whaddya have planned for today?
Me: Well I'm coming to see you later, a few more seminars, then I gotta go get me some new shears! What kind do you recommend?
Lisa: Kenchii!
Me: Hmm...
Lisa: Stop by the booth later, we'll help you find some in your price range!
Me: Sounds great, see ya later!

I could afford some KENCHIIS? Awesome!!

Inside the VIP lounge, I grabbed several cups of coffee to help sustain me--I was tired! It did the trick, and off I went, once again bumping into Jorge! This guy is everywhere!

The trade show was just minutes away from opening up for the last time. Frankie was poised outside the doors, asking us to thank the lodge staff with applause. Definitely not as energetic as Friday, but he didn't need to be. We all just walked right in.

Jorge was waiting at the Forever Stainless Steel booth.
Me: Heeeey, Jorge!
Jorge: Hey sweeite!
Me: Are you ready for a picture?
Jorge: Oh yeah! (Turning to the girl at he booth) Hey, can you take our picture? (Pointing to me) Right here, she iss like my number one!
Me: Wow, really? Me?
Jorge: Well hyou are at least in top three, right?
Me: Pretty darn close, I'd say!
Girl: Everybody say "Jorge!"
Then he gave me some "Jorgelicious" water. He said you have to have an Argentinian accent when you drink it. H'okay, so I guess I give it a ten minutes try! Haha!

Going down the row, I saw Judge Joey just finishing a conversation--now was the time to move in!
Me: (putting my arm on his shoulder and grinning slyly) So, Judge Joey... can I be a complete pain in the butt and ask for a picture?
Joey: Absolutely.
(A lady standing nearby took our picture and I reviewed it with him)
Me: Hey, looks pretty good, don't you think?
Joey: Yeah, YOU look good!
Me: Hehe, aw thanks! (I always knew he was a sly one, hehe!) So Joey, I gotta ask, what are your thoughts on the Red Clipper?
Joey: Hm... well the first time I tried them I didn't like them, but once I got used to them they were pretty good.
Me: Ah, OK. Because I won a pair at the social Thursday night, so I wanted to get some feedback from you on them.
Joey: Yeah, just play around with them for a bit, and I know you'll come to like them.
Me: OK. So I hear that Animal Planet dropped Groomer Has It...
Joey: Well that's not 100% yet.
Me: REALLY?
Joey: Yeah, we got a real positive response from everyone, so we didn't want to make it official.
Me: Lisa told me to write to 3-ball, so--
Joey: Animal Planet. Write to them first.
Me: OK, as soon as I get back home, I'm sending in a letter for you guys. They can't quit GHI. I love you guys--all of you!
Joey: (grinning) OK sweeite, thanks, and take it easy.
Me: I will. Oh, and be sure to say hi to Xavier for me!
Joey: Oh trust me, I will!

AWESOME! There IS still a good chance for a third GHI!! And I do trust Joey, the message will go through to Xavier. Hehe!

Right. So I was walking around for a bit and saw Sherri, from GHI 2, at the Shark Fin Shears booth. We talked for a while, and then she invited me back later to get my hand fitted for a pair of shark fins. Now I had two shear companies to choose from!

That coupon from the Eric Salas seminar was burning a hole in my tote, so I redeemed it for a T-brush. I continued on to the Groomer's Helper booth where Chuck sold me my Pro Kit. Thanks again Chuck, now you're MY hero! My friends at the Red Clipper booth also said hi as I passed. They invited me to try out the clipper again, but it was time for the first seminar of the day, with Lisa!

I don't know a whole lot about handstripping, so this was one of the first ones I wanted to take. Lisa did some work on a Wire Fox Terrier. I don't know who was having more fun, Lisa or the dog! You could see the look of pure bliss on the dog's face as Lisa pulled out her dead guard hairs. Not only was this one informative, but it was too darn cute!

Already, it was time for the second luncheon, this one featuring a groomer smock fashion show and the groomer makeovers. Once again, we had that delicious chicken. I didn't dare get any dessert--I needed to be mobile today! The event was hosted be Judy Bremer-Taxman and Mr. B, who was playing the music from last year's Poodle competition. There were some really cute designs that the three competing groomers made themselves. And then, of course, Judy walked on stage in camo and "trained" Mr. B! She let fly with a few dirty jokes, even though Sally was right nearby!

As for the groomer makeovers, the people from Mary Kay did a great job with the three girls. We saw before pictures, and they looked like completely different people! They'll be going home with a great souvenir.

Speaking of souvenirs, there was a drawing for some sterling silver jewelery. Guess who was called up first! Since I got first pick of everything, I went right for the adorable dog and cat pin. Everyone said that it was definitely "me"! While on the topic of compliments, I still had people coming up to me and asking if I was the dog at the Friday night party. They'll be talking about that for a while!

My second seminar of the day was all about Bach flower essences and natural remedies for "oochie poochies". I found a lot of it to be interesting, but some things I just had to wonder about. For example, if you make an essence yourself and use VODKA as a preservative, is it really the essence that is making the dog feel better? Haha!

Right, time for the massive buying spree to continue! Before I went to grab some new shears, I stopped by the FSS booth to say goodbye to Jorge.He was talking to Marco, so I snuck up behind him and gave him a big hug! He turned to Marco and said, "Di-shyou know that she was my dog at the party? My Cocker Spaniel, from Groomer Has It! Tha'ss a fan in my book!" Marco thought that was pretty cool! When I told Jorge I wanted to come to Intergroom this year, he said he was giving seminars there on customer relations. I hope I can go so I can see him again! In the meantime, we'll be in touch over the Internet. He said goodbye, wished me a safe ride home, and I did the same. Jorge is such a sweetie!

I decided to go with the Kenchii shears, by advice of Toomie. When I got to the booth, I saw the scorpion series and thought they might be good. The man there recommended the next expensive pair up, the 5-stars, saying that they were Lisa's favorite--she used them on GHI! Normally, the whole set--thinner, shear, curved--was $500, but the special show price was $300. How could I walk away from that?? What a great deal I found--I'm going to Nash with KENCHIIS!!

I picked up an undercoat rake for my buddy who couldn't make it (although it looks like a lot of vendors are only selling coat kings anymore), earplugs for myself, and then I ran into Huber at the PetSmart booth. I asked for one more picture, and if he would be at any other trade shows. He said, "As much as I like them, I really need to get my mobile business off the ground."

To which I replied, "Yeah. Fun's over! Haha! Nah, just kidding, enjoy it, and take care of yourself!" Huber is a sweetheart too!

On the way to my last class, I picked up some DVD's at the souvenir booth. I got Groomer Has It vs. the Clipper Vac, Flashy Stencils with Dawn Omboy, Grooming the Portuguese Water Dog, the Nash Poodle Expressions, and then decided "Why not?" and got Sasha's European grooming session as well!

The last class was a lot of fun. Debbie, from the Debbie and the Newbies tour, brought an Australian Terrier and Afghan puppy and taught us how to condition them to being on the table using horsemanship techniques. It was hilarious, because she let the puppies run rampant with the mother Aussie when they weren't getting groomed. The Afghan kept leaping from table to table, chair to chair, and peeling out with her big puppy paws! As for the terrier, she harassed her mom while finding new places to hide: under the stage, under our tables, and with the camera operators. When both puppies were on the floor, a wild game of chase ensued. What a great way to close a great show!

As I said earlier, it's the one thing about Groom Expo I don't like: it ends way too soon! However, I wasn't upset that it was over, but instead felt blessed to have a share in such a wonderful venue. The camaraderie of the groomers here is greater than most, the wait staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, Frankie Brown kept our spirits high, and of course it was a real treat to connect with old friends and make some new ones too! I'm going to miss being here, but I'm going home with memories that will never be forgotten, and to borrow one of my favorite lines: "There will always be another dog show!" There is no doubt in my mind: each year, you will see me in Hershey Lodge getting my groom on!

Now it's time to pack up all of my new found treasures, go home, and get the four-legged boy out of the kennel. Now how in the HECK am I going to manage to fit all my stuff in the "Puppy Waggin'"??

To borrow another phrase from another one of my esteemed buddies, for Groom Expo 2009... THAT'S IT BABY!!!
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/lightningyoshi/GROOM%20EXPO%202009/

1 comment:

Deb said...

How exciting!!!! Wish I could have gone myself! Thanks for such a good write up.

Debi (dogymom )

Post a Comment