Monday, June 21, 2010

I Got Bit...

...by the creative grooming bug! HA!

Last week, TLC aired Extreme Poodles, a documentary following the creative groomers at Groom Expo Pasadena. To watch the incredible amount of skill put into each dog, to catch a glimpse of the dye work, to witness each scissor snip, was an absolute thrill! We talked about it at work all week long!

On Friday, a mini Poodle came in. The family had buzzed a spot on her back where she scraped herself. Looking at it, I thought I could clip it into a star. Dad just said it would grow back in, no biggie. Boo. The shape stuck in the back of my mind, and I knew that in the coming days I was going to put a star on someone...

...and then it was Saturday night. I had Xavier up on the table for a routine card and de-shed. I looked at one spot on his thigh and said to him, "Let's try!" About a minute later, Xavier boasted a star in his coat!

They say dogs like to be groomed differently. He loved it! His star got him more attention than before. How many dogs do you know of that have a star on their butt? Haha!
The nice thing about putting a star on him is that his coat is agouti colored: alternating bands of black and white on each hair. Essentially, I just tipped the hairs in order to get the shape. No sunburn for this Nordic boy! And I'm not worried about his coat not coming back. In the past, I've taken his entire backside down with a #3F, just to see what it would look like. No fuss, no muss.

Having a star on your butt is just a price of your mama being a groomer!

No comments:

Post a Comment