Saturday, July 10, 2010

Doggie Daze Are Here Again!

Every year at the shelter, we host an event known as Doggie Daze. It's a time for reunions and fun for humans and canines alike. We usually see a good amount of our former shelter dogs come back for a visit, and get to meet some new faces too! The event grows every year, and 2010 proved to be no exception!

New to Doggie Daze this year was a bounce-house; a dollar got you fifteen minutes of airtime. Also, we collaborated with other rescues to bring even more awareness to homeless animals. Not only did we get several dog rescues to set up tents, but a farm animal sanctuary also showed up with chickens. There was even a llama from a local llama farm!

Vendors lined the hall with various doggie products. One could find everything from treats to training to boarding services. A Chinese auction took center stage with some wonderful gift baskets up for grabs. One table in front of that hosted some demonstrations, including mine - all about grooming, of course! Last year, only a few people came to see me talk about grooming tools. I was excited to see a small crowd come into the hall! Granted, they came and went, but I had some time for questions afterward. Even if I only reach a few people, that's a few more people than not!

The big excitement came in the morning, when I rocked my Rainbow Brite Cocker Spaniel suit from last year's Groom Expo. Seemed like everyone was drawn to me, the giant dog, and couldn't wait to make a donation! Those who had only a few large bills came back to drop a few bucks in my donation jar. Only one dog was truly afraid of me, but only because she was waking up from a nap and not really sure of what was going on. Imagine waking up to a strange ten-foot person - yikes! And yes, only one Labra-doodle tried to sniff my butt, haha!

After walking around for two hours, I raised $74 for our animals! Not too bad, especially considering the bounce house pulled in just $44! The humans was entertained, I had fun, the animals got a little extra money towards their well-being... everyone won today! Seeing as how I practically got my start from bathing the big hairies, as well as adopted my Xavier there almost two years ago, I'm honored to give a little something more to our organization. The fur will continue to fly in the grooming room as long as I'm in town - I love my shelter!

Alyssa (the dog director) and I outside the hall

Rock on!!

For more information about our shelter, visit our website at angelsforanimals.org

No comments:

Post a Comment