Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Down and Back Up Again

Well, I called it when I said there would be a battle of the salons. It all belonged to me, however, and I decided that a high-volume environment is not right for me. Perhaps I'll be able to achieve that someday, but I still prefer to work a little more closely with the dogs. Don't get me wrong, my former salon does a fine job, and part of it is because the routine they have is genuinely theirs; they've refined it for over a decade, and have it down to a T. For a newcomer like me, it just isn't in the cards.

The other salon, although slower, is looking promising. Ran by a good friend of mine, it's an environment that I can readily adapt to, and also where I can really hone and fine-tune my skills. Efficiency really is everything, and it's an area that is currently under construction for me. Even though it's the slow season, I'm using it to my advantage; a low volume of dogs means more time for me to develop a finer eye for detail and better dexterity with my tools. Needless to say, I'm excited to see how far I go in the coming months!

Working in a high-volume environment was uncomfortable for me at this stage. It was like the foot I had in the door of grooming got slammed hard. For this opportunity, I just stuck my other foot right back in! Now it's time to wriggle myself the rest of the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment